How to Optimize your Health & Fitness Routine this Summer!
Summer has officially begun and for most, many evenings and weekends are filled with barbeques, laying out by a pool or the beach, attending weddings and open houses, or vacationing with family and friends. It can be easy to get caught up in these fun summertime activities and leave exercise out of the picture. However, summer is one of the best times to optimize your health and fitness routine. The warm weather, fresh produce, and local activities can help you reach new goals and implement new routines and habits which stay with you all year long. Here are four tips on how you can optimize your health and fitness routine this summer:
- Schedule your workouts
One suggestion is to pull out your calendar each week and fill in your work hours, planned activities, and when and where you plan to work out. You can schedule these in a regular planner, phone calendar, on a workout scheduler app, or even planners that are designed specifically for workout and nutrition notes. I personally like to use my phone calendar along with mobile apps. I’m able to view my work calendar, social calendar, and CKO class schedule through the mobile app, all on my phone. Choose a method which will work best for you and keep you accountable.
- Get outside!
Take advantage of these warmer months by getting active outside! During your lunch break, get some fresh air and take a walk. After dinner, go out for an evening stroll. If you have children in your life, go out in the yard or park and play with them. Ride your bike, run, or rollerblade around your neighborhood or along the 15-mile paved pathways that Kent Trails offers. Go hiking and take in the beautiful sights that Michigan holds. Take a fitness class on the Blue Bridge. Swing dance in downtown Grand Rapids. The options go on and on. Get out there now and enjoy it while you can!
- Kent Trails: http://www.michigan.org/property/kent-trails
- Swing Dancing: https://www.grandrapidsoriginalswingsociety.com/
- Blue Bridge Fitness Classes: https://www.experiencegr.com/listings/the-blue-bridge/7596/
- Additional Michigan trails and hiking locations: http://trailsmichigan.com/ and http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_16839_16842—,00.html
- Visit farmer’s markets and local farms
There is a plentiful amount of fresh fruits and vegetables available to us locally in the summer. Fuel your body with these fresh foods and simultaneously help our local community. You can even turn this into a fun summer activity by visiting u-pick farms. Several farms in or near Grand Rapids let you pick your own blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, and apples.
Local u-pick farms:
- Venroy Blueberries in Coopersville: http://www.venroyblueberries.com/
- Delange’s Redberry Farm in Hudsonville: http://www.redberryfarm.info/
- Robinette’s in Grand Rapids: https://robinettes.com/
- Sign up for a Race
When you sign up for a race, you’re giving yourself a goal to work toward which has a set day and time you need to be prepared. For those days when it’s hard to get yourself moving, you will think about the race you’ve committed to and hopefully be given the motivation to get up and move. For the past few years I have done The Color Run. This race is a high energy 5k and provides me with encouragement throughout the summer to mix up my workouts by incorporating running. Plus, it’s another way I get outside and enjoy the weather (as the second tip suggests)!
- The Color Run in Grand Rapids on July 29: http://thecolorrun.com/locations/grand-rapids-mi/
- Tough Mudder in Chicago on August 26 and 27: https://toughmudder.com/events/2017-chicago-half
- Mackinac Island Eight Mile on September 9: http://www.runmackinac.com/eightmile.htm
Michigan summers are wonderful, fun, and full of adventure. You can enjoy it all and still optimize your health and fitness routine at the same time.
Health & Fitness Enthusiast